Jamaican Rum BBQ™ Shredded Chicken Tacos
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, halved & sliced thin
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon mixed jerk spices
- 1 [14.5 oz.) can fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 c chicken broth
- 1-1/4 c Jamaican Rum BBQ Sauce™
- 1/2 tsp lime zest
- 2 tblsp lime juice
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels & season with salt & pepper.
- Heat 1 tblsp oil in large Dutch oven over medium high heat until it shimmers.
- Add half of chicken, brown on both sides [3-4 min per side].
- Transfer to large plate. Repeat process with remaining chicken.
- Pot is now empty, reduce heat to medium & add remaining 1 tblsp oil, heat until it shimmers.
- Add onion & saute until browned.
- Add garlic and jerk spices & cook 1-2 min.
- Add tomatoes, broth & Jamaican Rum BBQ Sauce™, bring to boil.
- Return chicken to pot, reduce heat to medium-low, cover & simmer for 15-20 min., flip chicken halfway through cooking.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board.
- Transfer cooking liquid to blender and process until smooth. Return sauce to pot.
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, use 2 forks to shred into bite-sized pieces.
- Return chicken to pot with sauce inside & cook over medium heat. Stir frequently until sauce is thickened and clings to chicken [10-15 min.] Stir in lime zest & juice, add salt & pepper to taste.
- Warm 12, 6” corn tortillas, either on open flame or in skillet. Look for them to become spotty brown. Use foil or clean dish towel to keep warm.
- Place shredded chicken down the middle of the tortillas
- Add toppings & Enjoy!
- Avocado [sliced or mashed], shredded purple cabbage, pineapple or mango salsa, sour cream, sprinkle of cilantro